Long Term Capital Gain

I sold a property on 15th of January,2011 with a long term capital gain. I am unable to find a right house now. I have my money deposited in FD. Can I keep the whole money in FD for few more months to look for the right house? I am using the interest received on FD for paying the rent for the house I am stayin now(& I really need that interest money to run the house). Please guide me as in how to keep my money in my account for 6 more months and look for the right affordable house. I was told by my CA that within 6 months I need to put my money in the Bond or tranfer it to Long Term Capital Gain Account in some bank where they pay less interest and also the money is not accessible by me.

asked Jul 12 '11 at 02:12 by kan 1111

If new house in not bought before income tax return filing date (31st July), then whole amount has to be put into capital gains account scheme with nationalized bank.

Withdrawals from that account can only be done in form of payment to builder/seller of new property.

Amount can be kept in such account for maximum period of three years. If no utilized by that time, income tax will be payable and withdrawal will require assessing officer's approval.

answered Jul 12 '11 at 17:35 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jul 12 '11 at 02:12

Seen: 1,484 times

Last updated: Jul 12 '11 at 17:35