capital gains calculation and net consideration

My wife bought a piece of land in 2004 for 3.6 lakhs and sold it for 30 lakhs a couple of months back. Does she have to invest the entire 30 lakhs in REC bonds or can she deduct the 3.6 lakh (which she had paid for the land in 2004) + the indexation amount and buy the REC bonds for a smaller amount?

asked Jul 07 '11 at 00:19 by sonuvee 1111

As your wife sold land, as per section 54F, whole sale consideration (30 lakhs) has to be invested into a new residential property or capital gain bonds (section 54EC).

answered Jul 07 '11 at 14:22 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jul 07 '11 at 00:19

Seen: 3,181 times

Last updated: Jul 07 '11 at 14:22