Not filed returns for a year! how to regulerise?

Hi Pankaj, I have not worked from aug 2009-jan2011. The last returns I filed was in March 2009 for the previous year. Now i got form 16 from my employer for 2009 but I failed to file. So my question is have I become a defaulter? How do i file returns for the last year that I missed? How do i regularize my TDS so that I'll not face any problems in future? Pls guide. Neelam

asked Feb 09 '11 at 00:58 by micks 1111


In case your income earned in a financial year is below the taxable range, then filing income tax return is not mandatory. No legal action can be taken by Income tax department in this case. You need not to worry in this case.

But in case there was TDS deduction and your total income was more than taxable limits, you must file income tax return. There can be a legal notice sent to you in this case.

If your case is second one, you can file previous years return now. But it will delayed filing penalty and in case some tax amount was due, interest on same under section 234 A and B.

answered Feb 09 '11 at 14:17 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Feb 09 '11 at 00:58

Seen: 3,822 times

Last updated: Feb 09 '11 at 14:17