Tax resident


I’m working for an IT company in India who has sent me ( Temporary transfer with local EU contract) to EU for 2 yrs ( from Dec 2015) , I’ll be finishing my two year tenure in dec 2017 and will return back to India. Now my question is, I'll be treated as tax resident for india in 2017 provided I paid tax from April 2017 to Dec 2017 on other country ? and I need to pay tax in for entire 2017 in india ? as i saw the below rule which one is applicable for me ? Shall I be treated as Indian Citizen working abroad and don't need to pay tax separately for the previous income or 60 days rule?

You are considered an Indian resident for a financial year: •when you are in India for at least 6 months (182 days to be exact) during the financial year •you are in India for 2 months (60 days) for the year in the previous year AND have lived for one whole year (365 days) in the last four years If you are an Indian Citizen working abroad or a member of a crew on an Indian ship only the first condition is available to you – which means you are a resident when you spend atleast 182 days in India. The same is applicable to a PIO who is on a visit to India. The second condition is not applicable to these individuals.

regards Soum

asked Aug 23 '16 at 13:34 by Soum 111

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Aug 23 '16 at 13:34

Seen: 3,646 times

Last updated: Aug 23 '16 at 13:34