Filing ITR in India while staying abroad

Hi Pankai,

I’m staying abroad. I am in abroad and I don’t have any earning from any employment in India. Though, I’ve earned interest from saving bank account. Also, I have few real state but no earning from those either.

I need to file my ITR. In this case, which ITR form do I need to use?

1) Which form do I need to use if I've just earning from interest on saving bank accounts. I don't have any other earning in India.

2) My current residential status is NRI being staying abroad from last 4 years. Do I need to include my foreign income (current earning) as well while filing ITR in India?

3) While filing return, Which esidential status do I need to mention - "Resident" or "Non-Resident"? How will it impact to the tax calculations and income?

I heard that starting this year, we need to file/report foreign earning (salary etc) as well. Considering this, do I need to file and report it in the same form or we have some other form what i need to use?

Thanks in advance!

asked Jul 21 '15 at 01:38 by ASR 111

  1. As you are not resident Indian, you don’t need to pay taxes on foreign earnings.
  2. You should file ITR2 and report Indian and foreign earnings in it.
  3. You should mention non-resident.

answered Jul 24 '15 at 16:57 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jul 21 '15 at 01:38

Seen: 4,307 times

Last updated: Jul 24 '15 at 16:57