LTCG exemption on housing property

I have sold a residential property which was in the joint name of my wife and me. The property was sold after three years and , therefore, LTCG is applicable. If I buy a residential property in my wife's name with the gains accrued from the earlier sale, will I get exemption from LTCG tax.

asked May 16 '11 at 03:40 by gsuresh4 1111

As old property was in joint name of you and your wife, capital gains will also be divided between both of you in same proportion as the holding pattern was.

Each of you have individual tax liability on this share of capital gains and both have to invest in new property in order to save tax.

answered May 16 '11 at 15:06 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: May 16 '11 at 03:40

Seen: 2,216 times

Last updated: May 16 '11 at 15:06