Question regarding transfer of rights on an apartment; whether its LTCG or STCG

Dear Sir,

I bought an apartment in Bangalore during the pre-launch of the project in June 2005. I made the bulk of the payments (~90% of the total cost) for the same based on the payment calendar from June 2005 till June 2008. The rest of the payments were to be made on handover like Electricity/Water/Generator/Carpark/Sinking fund/etc. However, due to the delay in construction the property was completed only after 2012.

I finally took possession paying the last installment & other charges only in May 2014. I had only taken possession of the flat from the builder (handover) but not registered the property as I was planning to sell it as a transfer.

Could you please advice on the tax implications. Since this property was allotted to me in June 2005 and I have made 90% of the payments between 2005 and 2008, and the rest in 2014, does it come under Long Term Capital Gain or Short Term Capital Gain? I read somewhere that the date of allotment and Date of Sale Agreement can be considered as the purchase date? Or is it the date of possession?

I had checked with few chartered accountants but most of them have not dealt with such a situation before. I got this response from an online forum: "Gains shall be Long term for the 90% of the amount, as gains obtained over transfer of rights in a property and not exactly house property." Can I go with this approach? I wanted to know your expert thoughts in this regard.

Kindly advice. Best regards, Sony G

asked Nov 25 '14 at 12:08 by sonyg73 111

If you have not got registration done, it won't be an house property asset and thus you can treat as long term gain on a capital asset.

answered Nov 25 '14 at 13:22 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320

Thanks for the advice. So does it mean I do not need to invest the long term gain in another house property (within 3 years) to avoid LTCG tax right and instead treat this as a long term gain on a capital asset?
(Nov 26 '14 at 09:46) sonyg73
You still would have to pay 20% income tax on gains with indexation benefit. In case you want to save tax, you can invest into a residential house property u/s 54F or into capital gain bonds u/s 54EC.
(Nov 26 '14 at 11:46) Pankaj Batra

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Nov 25 '14 at 12:08

Seen: 2,599 times

Last updated: Nov 26 '14 at 11:46