staying in rented flat, income tax query

Asking on behalf of a Married Woman :

I own a flat in pune and stay on rent in other flat near to my husbands office, what if I show that in my own flat my in laws are staying without any rent. will i still enjoy the HRA exemption and complete Home loan interest tax free, without showing any income from my own flat?

asked Jul 24 '14 at 09:10 by akshay jain 114

In case that's the only residential house property she has, she can claim home loan interest as well as HRA exemption without showing any rental income on it.

She can claim income tax deduction u/s 24 upto Rs 1.5 lakh (for FY 2013-14) and upto Rs 2 lakhs starting FY 2014-15.

answered Jul 24 '14 at 11:28 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320

but if there is any query in future from income tax dept? will this require any proof that my inlaws stayed there? do i need to have agreement with them also?
(Jul 24 '14 at 11:50) akshay jain
As such, there should not be any issue. No proof needs to be maintained for it.
(Jul 24 '14 at 11:54) Pankaj Batra

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jul 24 '14 at 09:10

Seen: 1,987 times

Last updated: Jul 24 '14 at 11:54