Claiming tax refund for income tax deducted on PF withdrawal

Hi I resigned from my last employer in October 2013. I served in this company from March 2009. Before that I was working in another company from July 2003. I had transferred the PF from my first company to the last company PF trust. During resignation from my last company I opted for withdrawal of my PF amount. I was paid my PF amount after deduction of income tax. I understand that as I worked total for more than 10 years my PF should not be taxable. Please let me know how I can claim the tax refund during ITR filing; should I show the PF withdrawal amount as an exempt income? If yes, in which section of the ITR should I show the same? Regards Sujay

asked Jul 17 '14 at 10:05 by sujay_rect 111

As you continued EPF account for than five years, there should be any tax payable on its withdrawal.

So as EPF department has already deducted tax on it, you should claim refund for same in income tax return.

You will have to fill ITR-2 form and mention this non taxable amount in EI (Schedule EI) sheet under Others, (including exempt income of minor child) column.

answered Jul 17 '14 at 11:32 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jul 17 '14 at 10:05

Seen: 2,959 times

Last updated: Jul 17 '14 at 11:32