HRA Claim if it is not mentioned in Form 16.

Hi Pankaj,

My form 16 does not reflect HRA exemption due to some issue(i changed company in december) at the company level. Can i preassume HRA exemption based on whatever amount i have paid to my landlord and then file an IT return. I have proof of Rent Paid and bank statement to show that given amount was transferred from my account to my landlord every month toward rent.

asked May 30 '14 at 14:32 by Manish Sharan Singh 1111

HRA exemption is provided by employer only and there is no provision for providing same in ITR forms.

However, you can try deducting the exemption amount from taxable, file return and ask for refund.

As there would be difference between form-16 and your declaration of taxable income, income tax department can send notice to explain the difference. In that case, you will have to show rent receipts, salary slips etc to IT officer and also explain why employer did not process HRA exemption.

answered Jun 01 '14 at 09:15 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: May 30 '14 at 14:32

Seen: 5,838 times

Last updated: Jun 01 '14 at 09:16