surrender of tenancy

sir, i am a tenant of a shop, where i do business. i paid rent 1000/- per month , and i am holding the shop for more than 5 years . and i pay rs. 50000/- lump sum to the owner of the property . on 2007. now i want to surrender my tenancy , the owner will pay rs. 150000/- for surrender of tenancy . now my question is 1. what is the tax provision of the amount received? 2. it is a short term or long term capital gain? what is the procedure to save tax ?

asked Apr 25 '14 at 21:41 by Biswajit Saha 11

In our view, it would be long term capital gains. Income tax @ 20% with indexation benefit should be applicable.

To save tax, amount can be invested into residential house property u/s 54F or into capital gain bonds u/s 54EC.

answered May 05 '14 at 23:45 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Apr 25 '14 at 21:41

Seen: 1,449 times

Last updated: May 05 '14 at 23:45