HRA Vs Interest rebate

I and my spouse jointly own a house in the city, where I work. We purchased this house in 2011 after raising loan from bank. Since my spouse don't have any income, I am paying emi and claiming full interest rebate.

Now I wish to claim hra rebate by paying rent for this house to my spouse. I also wish to claim half of the interest rebate.

Is this permitted in law and if yes, what action is to be initiated.

Regs Narinder

asked Apr 18 '14 at 23:09 by Narinder 11

Its not allowed to pay house rent to your spouse. It would be a sham transaction and if caught, legal action can be taken by IT department.

answered Apr 19 '14 at 01:00 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Apr 18 '14 at 23:09

Seen: 1,448 times

Last updated: Apr 19 '14 at 01:00