long term capital gain tax exemption for Father if he supports the son for the purchase of new house.

Hello,my father has just sold a residential land after purchasing it after 25 years,hence he is liable to long term capital tax. Now i am planning to buy a house and my father is going to help me with all money he got from the sale of land. Request to please let me know will he be liable to tax savings on long term capital gain, if yes then how ? P.S.: Purchase of new house will be within 2 years from the sale of land.

asked Dec 16 '13 at 00:54 by saurabh23jan 111

New property should be in the name of same person (single or jointly owned) who have earned capital gains.

However, in some court cases, court have allowed new property to be in the name of spouse or son.

To be on safer side, you can buy new property with your father as a joint owner of new property.

answered Dec 17 '13 at 10:42 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Dec 16 '13 at 00:54

Seen: 2,734 times

Last updated: Dec 17 '13 at 10:42