long term capital gain on sale of second property


I have a client who is an NRI and had invested in two properties apart from his self occupied property. He sold one property last year, the capital gain to which he invested in Special Capital gains savings bank in a Nationalised bank. This year he sold the other one. 1. Can he take the benefit of the Long term capital gain u/s 54 2. invest the gain in the same special savings account opened last year 3. Can he utilise the total capital gain of both the properties for a single property?

thanks in advance! Hemali

asked Jul 02 '13 at 21:30 by hemalishanghvi 11

  1. In case the properties being sold are residential house properties, tax benefit can be taken u/s 54.
  2. He should deposit gains from second property into another capital gain scheme account.
  3. Gains from both sale can be used to buy a single property u/s 54.

answered Jul 04 '13 at 18:15 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jul 02 '13 at 21:30

Seen: 1,948 times

Last updated: Jul 04 '13 at 18:15