Excess ITR refund received. How to pay it back to Govt?

For assessment year 2011-12, I had received Rs. 330 as extra refund of Income tax because of government has calculated the return based on Original return & Not based on revised return

Original return filed ? Rs. 890

Revised return Filed ? Rs. 560

All this was done within the time-frame given by the Govt ( Before 31st July 2011)

But I received the refund of Rs. 890 i.e. Rs. 330 extra as compared with the correct return of Rs. 560.

And now, Today I have received the intimation from Income tax department that I need to repay this Rs. 330.

How to pay this to Govt.?

Which challan I should fill?

asked Mar 27 '13 at 13:40 by Pruthvi 263615

You should use CHALLAN NO./ITNS 280, (0021)INCOME-TAX (OTHER THAN COMPANIES) and (400)TAX ON REGULAR ASSESSMENT on challan page. Remember to fill correct assessment year as mentioned on intimation letter as well.

answered Mar 29 '13 at 01:37 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320

thanks a lot!!
(Mar 29 '13 at 08:43) Pruthvi

The excess can be interest on Refund, in case there is delay. If the period is too small for such excess refund, then you have to pay as per above reply from Mr Pankaj

answered Apr 11 '13 at 17:17 by Vikram 162


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Mar 27 '13 at 13:40

Seen: 3,145 times

Last updated: Apr 11 '13 at 17:17