Capital Gains Tax


I recently purchased a property by availing housing loan. Since the loan amount is high my father is planning to sell one of his properties and partially pay off my loan. Will the proceeds from the sale of my father's property be subject to capital gains tax in this case?

asked Mar 25 '13 at 12:58 by vikram172 125

As your father is selling a property, he would earn capital gains from such sale. These capital gains would be taxable normally.

If a new residential house property is bought by your father (single or jointly owned), he can claim tax benefit in capital gain tax.

If your father is a joint owner of newly purchased property, he can claim tax benefit u/s 54/54F.

answered Mar 29 '13 at 00:31 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Mar 25 '13 at 12:58

Seen: 2,070 times

Last updated: Mar 29 '13 at 00:31