Two Properties one in place of work and other in different..can we claim HRA


I have two flats one in place where i am working and other in another city. Currently i want to move to a flat close to my office and give my flat on rent.

In this case (1) Can i Claim HRA (2) Loss on let out property on the flat in my city (3) Loss on let out property on the flat in other city or still i claim it as self ` occuiped though its in different city (its occupied by my parents)

asked Feb 04 '13 at 11:14 by suren343 122

  1. Yes, you can claim HRA if you are living on rent.
  2. Loss from house property (home loan interest) can claimed if rental income is shown without any limit.
  3. You can show zero rent on property occupied by parent. As it far away from work location, self occupied benefits can be taken.

But IT department may raise question on why property in same city of work is not self occupied. Then you may have to prove reason for taking another house on rent.

answered Feb 13 '13 at 01:33 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Feb 04 '13 at 11:14

Seen: 2,262 times

Last updated: Feb 13 '13 at 01:33