Dear Mr Batra, Kindly let me know what exemption is available on House Rent paid. Does it fall within the Sec 80 C limit of Rs 1,00,000.00 Thanks Col Ashok Koul

asked Jan 21 '13 at 20:33 by COL ASHOK 1111

House rent exemption does not fall under section 80C. In case assessee is salaried and his salary structure has HRA component, employer would provide HRA exemption u/s 10 on showing rent receipts.

If assessee is not salaried or does not have HRA as salary component, he can still claim deduction for house rent paid u/s 80GG.

Please read more on this page: Section 80GG - income tax deduction for House Rent

answered Jan 22 '13 at 00:46 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jan 21 '13 at 20:33

Seen: 3,379 times

Last updated: Jan 22 '13 at 00:46