NRI CG deduction u/s 54 and U/s54F

Happy days sirji,

Sirji, i had a doubt that, an NRI having an House property/Land in India, and it has been sold in india and amount recived in India has been invested In New House Property in London, my doubt is that whether an NRI can claim deduction U/s 54 and U/s 54F of Income tax under Capital Gain.

asked Jan 08 '13 at 20:20 by Harsh Baradia 111

Both section 54 and 54F are silent on location of new residential property, so one may buy property outside India too.

But if IT department sends notice for same, then it may be fought legally in court.

answered Jan 09 '13 at 20:08 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jan 08 '13 at 20:20

Seen: 2,343 times

Last updated: Jan 09 '13 at 20:08