House Rent for Parents


I am married and currently staying with my parents. Since my father is retires, my earnings & contributions are the only source of income. Can a part of my monthly contribution given to my parents, be considered as 'Rent', and thus be claimed for tax exemptions.

I had read that Govt of India recognizes such transactions between Father & Children as legal business transactions but not between Husband & Wife.

asked Dec 29 '12 at 08:03 by mdoomar 136

If house is in your father's name, then you can give him monthly rent and HRA exemption for same.

There is no issue in giving rent to father or mother.

answered Dec 29 '12 at 09:28 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Dec 29 '12 at 08:03

Seen: 1,720 times

Last updated: Dec 29 '12 at 09:28