NRE status for wife

Hi, I am working in Germany since last 1 year and now I am an NRE. My family is also staying with me here.

My wife used to work in India and paid income tax till FY 2011-12. Right now not working, however she is having savings account and DMAT account in India.

As a NRI, I am now converting all my savings account as NRE or NRO account and so for the DMAT account. Do my wife need to change the account status as well? She is not having any income in Germany but she is having income in India still. Does she need to file the Income tax in India as NRI for FY 2012-13?

thanks, Nilay Ghosh Germany [email protected]

asked Oct 01 '12 at 02:22 by NilayGhosh 11

As your wife is not living in India, she should also get her account status changed to NRE/NRO.

If she would be staying in India for less than 60 days in FY 2012-13, she would have a non-resident status and hence global income would not be taxable in India. In that case, if her Indian income does not cross non-taxable range (2 lakh), she does not need to file income tax returns.

answered Oct 01 '12 at 13:21 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Oct 01 '12 at 02:22

Seen: 1,809 times

Last updated: Oct 01 '12 at 13:21