Income tax for second House

Sir, I am a central government employee. I own one flat already and intend to construct a house on a plot owned by me. The loan on my first property is still in force and I am claiming income tax relief on accrued interest. I plan to construct the house on the plot (second property) after availing bank loan. Now, can I take accrued interest relief on second property also? After checking from my office, I found that the form 16 issued by my employer (Government) considers only one property. Kindly advice on how I can avail income tax benefits on my second property.

asked Aug 22 '12 at 12:38 by KJR 111

You can only assume one property as self-occupied. Home loan interest exemption on self occupied property is maximum 1.5 lakh.

In case of other property, you need to show a notional rental income as taxable and then you can claim tax benefit for whole interest payout (without any max limit).

answered Aug 22 '12 at 13:09 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Aug 22 '12 at 12:38

Seen: 1,957 times

Last updated: Aug 22 '12 at 13:09