Rebate under Sec.80D for Premium paid for mother in law's health insurance

Please let me know if I can claim rebate under Se.80D for the health insurance premium that i have been paying for my dependent mother-in-law.The premium is being deducted from my salary.I am a female employee and my mother-in-law is 75 years old.

asked Mar 28 '11 at 01:17 by V B Vijaya 1111

You will not get any deduction under Section 80D for Mediclaim premium for your in-laws. But if your spouse is making the payment, Section 80D deduction is available since your spouse would be making payment for his / her parents which is allowable under Section 80D. Please note your spouse has to make the payment from his / her taxable income.

answered Mar 29 '11 at 13:53 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Yes u can get deduction u/s 80D on health insurance premium paid for dependent parents:-

1) You can get deduction u/s 80D upto the limit of Rs. 20000/- (Rs. 15000 +Rs. 5000*)for premium paid.

*Note:- Additional amount of Rs. 5000/- ,premium paid on the health of a senior citizen who is at least of 65 years old or more

answered Mar 28 '11 at 02:32 by sagar 4012


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Mar 28 '11 at 01:17

Seen: 5,626 times

Last updated: Mar 29 '11 at 14:00