Filing IT return

Dear Pankaj,

Recently my wife got a capital gain of Rs 10 lac from the land sold which was gifted to her by her mother around 10 years back.She is a house wife with no income from any other sources and not filing income tax return till date. She is planning to invest this amount in NHAI bond to claim exemption from capital gain tax. Is it necessary to file a Income tax return to claim this exemption from capital gain??

asked Aug 12 '12 at 13:46 by income_ tax 1116

As she had capital gains for amount more than non-taxable range, its mandatory for her to file income tax returns.

In income tax return, she can show exemption u/s 54EC (for NHAI bonds).

answered Aug 12 '12 at 17:39 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Aug 12 '12 at 13:46

Seen: 1,690 times

Last updated: Aug 12 '12 at 17:39