Revised Income Tax Return


I had e-filed ITR-1 through online for F.Y. 2011-12 but somehow i forgot to claim the rebate for interest on Home loan paid during yr 2010-11 (i.e. before taking possession of house)which I understand, is to be claimed in 1/5th part in each year for next 5 years.

Can I submit/file a revised ITR-1 & claim a rebate for this amount also.

If Yes please tell me the procedure, is it same as filing the original ITR & I have to submit on same location or somewhere else.

Also If I don't claim this amount & do not file the revised ITR-1 can I claim this amount in next year return i.e. twice of this 1/5th amount.



asked Jul 26 '12 at 15:52 by sakiv1089 18682439

You should file revised return now.

Procedure is same as original one. Only difference would be following things:

  1. Return filed under section: Revised 139(5)
  2. Whether original or revised return: R-Revised
  3. Receipt No
  4. Original filed return date

You won't be able to claim this extra amount next year. It should be done this year only.

answered Jul 26 '12 at 17:33 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jul 26 '12 at 15:52

Seen: 3,351 times

Last updated: Jul 26 '12 at 17:33