Sell of Residential Land

Dear Pankaj Ji: I request you for an advice.

My daughter purchased a plot in FY 96-97, which she sold in FY 11-12 at much lower prevailing price than the circle rate. The plot is in unapproved area and the practice of sale/purchase is power of attorney. To save tax on LTCG, U/s 54F she would utilize the whole consideration amount (sale proceeds) in construction of a house, for which she has already paid part payment to the developer for a plot and the balance deposited in Capital gain account (before due date of filing the return). My question is does she need a valuation report from Govt. Regd. valuer and your advice on the sale lower than the circle rate.

asked Jul 19 '12 at 22:05 by Pal 11

Long term gains should be calculated as per circle rate in case selling price is lower than that.

answered Jul 19 '12 at 22:44 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jul 19 '12 at 22:05

Seen: 1,610 times

Last updated: Jul 19 '12 at 22:44