tax claim for dependent sster

Sir, I have an elder sister 27yrs old, unmarried, who had a renal failure when she was 12 yrs old and my mom donated a kidney then. since then, she has discontinued her education and on medication till now. My father is unemployed and i wish to know whether I can claim a tax exemption of dependent for the exp and her maintenance.
1)What can be the amount of exemption I can claim for? 2)under what head? 3)Should she have a Dependent certificate? I don't think she has one.


asked Jul 03 '12 at 19:24 by dhatchayanim 12511

If you have incurred expenditure for medical treatment of a disabled dependant or have deposited any amount under a prescribed scheme for the maintenance of the dependent, you can seek a tax deduction u/s 80DD.

Tax payers are allowed a deduction of Rs 50,000. The deduction increases to one lakh in case of severe disability (disability of more than 80%).

The dependent should have atleast disability of 40% to claim tax benefit and a copy of disability certificate is needed from govt medical officer.

answered Jul 04 '12 at 01:09 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jul 03 '12 at 19:24

Seen: 1,476 times

Last updated: Jul 04 '12 at 01:09