Investment on property on son's name

My son is purchasing other property at some location. Is it possible that I sell of one of my existing residential plot and to save long term capital gain, give money to my son?

asked Jun 01 '12 at 23:10 by xnitinx 111

You cannot save income tax on long term gains just by gifting amount to son or buying property on son's name.

If you have earned gains, new property should be in your name (single or jointly owned) or you must pay taxes.

answered Jun 02 '12 at 07:21 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320

Thanks for the response. If the property is in joint name with me and the bank loan for property is taken by my son only, then can i repay the son's loan as a joint owner to save LTCG?
(Jun 02 '12 at 18:57) xnitinx
There is no tax benefit on payment to bank for loan. Amount should be paid by you to seller for property ownership.
(Jun 02 '12 at 23:29) Pankaj Batra

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jun 01 '12 at 23:10

Seen: 1,724 times

Last updated: Jun 02 '12 at 23:29