Repayment of Amount

Hi, I have paid a total sum of Rs. Seven lakhs (in installments) from my salary account in Fy 2011-2012 for a land deal which failed due to some reasons. TDS applicable on the salary for FY 2011-2012 has been deducted and deposited by the employer. Now the person concerned wants to pay back the amount in qestion i.e. seven Lakhs (In installment) by cheque in current FY i.e. 2012-2013. Can I deposit that cheque in my salary account. If yes, whether the said amount has to be declared to any authority and/or if any tax is liable on the said amount in current FY. Please reply.

asked Apr 03 '12 at 22:30 by Haseeb 1112

There should not be an issue with this transaction. You can deposit amount back to your account through cheque.

In case income tax department sends you notice to declare source of these funds, you can give them reasons in writings along with attached bank statement for installment payments earlier.

This may also be shown as loan payment and then return of same. You may get this written on a plain paper signed by both parties involved.

answered Apr 04 '12 at 14:03 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Apr 03 '12 at 22:30

Seen: 1,915 times

Last updated: Apr 04 '12 at 14:03