Child Education Allowance/Child Hostel Allowance Exemption from Incoem Tax

Dear Sir,

Good evening.

Can you pls. clarify the following.

As per Income Tax Rule (for FY:2011-12 & AY:2012-13), can an Individual eligible to get tax exemption of both Child Education Allowance and Child Hostel Allowance ? Under what conditions an employee is eligible to get tax exemption of both the allowances. Also under what circumstances an individual is eligible to get tax exemption of any one of the above allowances.

Appreciate your clarification on above queries at the earliest.

Regards Hussain

asked Mar 31 '12 at 21:43 by Khaja Hussain Muchumarri 1111

In case your salary has component for children education allowance, you may get Rs 100 per month exemption per child for maximum up to two children.

Otherwise you can get deduction under section 80C for tuition fees paid towards children education. But it can only include education expenses and cannot include hostel fees or school development fees etc.

answered Apr 04 '12 at 11:19 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Mar 31 '12 at 21:43

Seen: 5,055 times

Last updated: Apr 04 '12 at 11:19