Capital Gains on sale of flat

Hello Pankaj,

We have sold residential flat and here are the details. Request you to please let me know what is my capital gains. This property was on joint name (my wife)

Date of purchase -> 21-Jan-09. Purchase Year = 2008-09. Purchase Cost = 2920000. Date of Selling -> 24-Mar-12 .Sale Year = 2011-12. Selling price = 5600000

We are identified to buy another residential property (jointly) and should we have to invest the entire capital gains (not sure what is the value) before 31-Mar-2012? If not, till such time we invest in another property where should I park the capital gain amount? Request your reply at the earliest

asked Mar 24 '12 at 21:25 by Srihari 165711

Purchase Year = 2008-09, Purchase Cost = 2920000, Cost Inflation Index (CII) for purchase year = 582
Sale Year = 2011-12, Selling price = 5600000, CII for sale year = 785
Indexed Purchase price = 2920000 x (785/582) = 3938488
Long term capital gain = 5600000 - 3938488 = 1661512
Income tax on capital gain = 1661512 x 20% = 332302.4

The gains would be divided between you and your wife. New property cost should be more than 16.7 lakh in order to save income tax fully.

New property must be bought within two years from date of sale of old property. If you are able to buy new property and get possession before 31st July 2012 (last date of income tax return filing), capital gains need not to be invested in any special account.

But if you unable to get possession of new property before 31st July, you should invest capital gains amount into capital gain scheme account and pay to new flat seller from this account.

answered Mar 27 '12 at 14:11 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320

Thank you for quick response Pankaj. As I have mentioned, we have already identified new residential flat (which is under construction is expected to give for possession in Feb - 2013). We have already paid advance and next payment is due in May - 2012. Till such time, can i invest capital gains in bank FD and get some interest out of it or Do we need to invest in capital gain scheme account immediately. Please clarify.
(Mar 28 '12 at 15:30) Srihari
You would need to invest amount into capital gain scheme account before 31st July 2012. You can keep amount wherever you want in this mean time.
(Mar 28 '12 at 16:17) Pankaj Batra

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Mar 24 '12 at 21:25

Seen: 1,728 times

Last updated: Mar 28 '12 at 16:17