Income tax on Arrears

Dear Sir

I have received arrears for the FY 2010-11 in the month of February 2012. My employer deducted the income tax from my salary. When filing the tax returns, is there any exemption for the arrears ?

asked Mar 08 '12 at 17:28 by KV Lu 1111

You can claim a tax deduction under Section 89(1). You would need to compute income tax on the arrears if it would have been received in actual year. Now difference of income tax between payment year and actual year would be allowed for deduction.

Say, you received 1 lakh as arrears this year and 30.6% tax was deducted on it. If you had received last year, say you were in 20% slab rate due to less income, then 20.4% tax would have been deducted. So there is a payment of extra 10.2% because of late payment and hence deduction for same can be taken.

answered Mar 09 '12 at 14:40 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Mar 08 '12 at 17:28

Seen: 2,240 times

Last updated: Mar 09 '12 at 14:41