NRI tax return filing


1) I am an NRI with income in India only from interest on bank deposits and post office savings. Please let me know which return form I should fill in.

2) My spouse also a NRI has income from sale of House property along with interest on bank deposits and post office savings. Which return form should he fill in.

3)as income from NRE savings and NRE FD are tax free, in the return form do we need to show them?

Thank you and regards,


asked Mar 01 '12 at 12:22 by PGopal 1124

  1. In case income is only from bank interest and post office interest, you can file income tax return using ITR1.
  2. Your wife would need to file ITR2 as she has long/short term gains from house sale.
  3. If you want to show non taxable interest in return, you can file using ITR2 and fill EI sheet in same.

answered Mar 02 '12 at 20:24 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Mar 01 '12 at 12:22

Seen: 2,317 times

Last updated: Mar 02 '12 at 20:24