Tax Calculation for Independent Consultant


I do freelancing for clients located outside india. How can i reduce my tax burden through investments?

My specific questions are: 1) I paid my childs entire year school fees as Rs 50,000. Is this entire amount deductible under 80/c or only the tution fees component, which is just apprx Rs 1500 for this year?

2) What about expenses i incur every month: household, petrol, internet fees, medical expenses, rent for office etc?

3) I also outsource some of my work to other independent workers in my city in india? Is the amount i pay to them for work, an expense?

I want to make most of investment, tax exemptions and file my returns correctly, hence if above is clarified i can invest accordingly. Looking forward to your guidance asap..

Thanks, Sanjay

asked Feb 14 '12 at 09:25 by sanjay_india 1111


  1. Only the Actual Tuition Fees paid during the year is allowed to be deducted. Other components like Hostel Fees, Transport Fees etc are not allowed to be decuted u/s 80C
  2. Any Expense incurred for the purpose of your business like Telephone, Petrol, Office Rent, Staff Salaries are allowed to be shown as Expenses
  3. The amount paid to Independent Workers is also allowed to be shown as an Expense

answered Feb 16 '12 at 00:38 by CA Karan Batra 53216


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Feb 14 '12 at 09:25

Seen: 2,470 times

Last updated: Feb 16 '12 at 00:38