Working outside India


I am a Indian citizen and working outside India In Azerbaijan with a French company and having a work permit, I get paid in Dollars which I get remitted to India on a NRE account. I may not be completing 183 days outside the country for this year although I had completed them last year. My taxes are paid in Azerbaijan as I work there (There is not dual taxation treaty between India and Azerbaijan). What I want to know is since I am holding a work permit to work in Azerbaijan and get paid in Dollars and since I may not be able to complete 183 day out of India is my salary going to be taxed in India, although I do not work in India?. Thank you for you kind reply

asked Jan 16 '12 at 16:22 by norman 1111

In your case you would be considered resident indian and whole of your global income would be taxable in India.

You may have to file for tax refunds in Azerbaijan.

answered Jan 22 '12 at 19:22 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jan 16 '12 at 16:22

Seen: 3,396 times

Last updated: Jan 22 '12 at 19:22