capital gain tax

I got a house on gift from my mother in 1976.I myself constructed a house in 1998 and using it as my residence. Now I want to sell house which I got on gift.I want to purchae a flat other than the house where I am living.Would i get capital gain benefit tax u/s 54F & sec 45

asked Mar 04 '11 at 11:58 by arupkol 111

Yes, you can get tax exemption under section 54.

Please compute capital gain by considering indexation into account. Computation has to be done with fair market value in 1981-82 and all amount invested for renovation thereafter.

If purchase cost of new house, to be bought, is more or equal to the capital gain amount, there is no income tax. But new flat has to be bought within two years after sale of old flat.

answered Mar 10 '11 at 04:03 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Mar 04 '11 at 11:58

Seen: 1,639 times

Last updated: Mar 10 '11 at 04:03