LTCG on sale of residential house after the death of husband.

Dear Pankaj Ji,

My father had purchsed a residential house @ 46000/- in 1961. After his death my mother wishes to sell the property in 1.5 Cr and give .5 cr each to her unmarried daughter and two grandsons, so that they can purchase residential or agricultural properties of their own choice. What will be LTCG and gift tax provisions and how to save them.

asked Jan 10 '12 at 22:03 by Naveen Jhanjee 6123

Long term capital gain would arise from sale of house and owner would be liable to pay income tax on it.

If your mother sells the house and does not buy another residential house property on her name, she would need to pay income tax before transferring amount to her daughter and grandsons.

If would be better if your mother transfer property through a settlement deed to daughter and grandsons. Then property should be sold, this would make daughter and grandsons liable for income tax on their share of long term gains. Then if they buy/construct residential house property in their name, income tax can be saved u/s 54.

answered Jan 10 '12 at 22:30 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jan 10 '12 at 22:03

Seen: 1,670 times

Last updated: Jan 10 '12 at 22:30