How to claim LTA,medical bills if you have changed the company and didn't submit anything in last company?

Hello Sir,

I worked with a company from april 2011 to nov 2011 then changed company but i didn't submit any medical bills,LTA bills and rent slip in my last company.

My new company said that they will take medical bills ,LTA and rent slip from dec2011 to march 2012 only i.e from the time of joining of new company.

my previous company has already given me full and final settlement so i can't submit bills there.

How can i get the exemption for medical bills,LTA and rent slip between april 2011 to nov 2011?

I asked my previous and current employer as well both told me consult advisor. I searched so much but didn't get answer.

asked Jan 10 '12 at 22:03 by suren 41141725

House rent, Leave travel allowance(LTA) and medical allowance is a employer provider component and is not a standard tax saving method across all tax payers. So to claim deduction under these components, one has to only submit bills to employer and claim benefit for same.

In income tax return form, there is no field/section to claim same. If you will have to claim same while IT return filing, you would need to direct deduct amount from your taxable income. This creates a difference between what employer declare in form-16 and what your declare, so it raises a doubt in income tax officer's mind. They may raise a query on same and may not issue a refund.

This issue should have been settled only before your full and final settlement was done with previous employer. Most the employers accept such bills before making a final computation on FnF.

answered Jan 10 '12 at 22:25 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320

yes, same is applicable to LTA also. You can reduce taxable income by these allowances and declare reduced income in income tax return. There are chances that income tax department issue refund on basis of same. But also be ready to show proofs to income tax department in case they ask for same.
(Jan 10 '12 at 22:43) Pankaj Batra
Sir is there any way to claim these bills?
(Jan 10 '12 at 22:46) suren
I have already written answer for same in above comment. You need to reduce taxable income by bill amount and file income tax return for refund. There is no other way to claim these bills now.
(Jan 10 '12 at 22:50) Pankaj Batra
thanks for clearing my doubts. :)
(Jan 10 '12 at 23:00) suren

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jan 10 '12 at 22:03

Seen: 4,273 times

Last updated: Jan 10 '12 at 23:00