Long term capital gain.


My dad sold a commercial property for 2 cr, what are the ways where I can avoid the payment of Long Term Capital Gain Tax on this amount. I am told to invest nothing more than 50 Lac in NHAI (National Highway Authority of India) or REC (Rural Electrification Board) for a period of 3 years, but i am still left with 1.5cr of taxible income. Is there a provision where within a certain duration of time, I could reinvest in another comercial property and avoid the tax payment.

asked Jan 03 '12 at 18:15 by vivekredy 1112

Income tax on long term gains from assets other than residential house property, can be saved by either investing into capital gain bonds u/s 54EC or by buying/constructing a residential house property u/s 54F.

Max amount which can be invested into capital gain bonds is 50 lakh per financial year. This investment has to be done within six months from sale. If two financial years fall in this six month period, one can even invest upto one crore (50 lakh each financial year).

If a new residential house property is bought, possession for same should be done within two years from sale. If construction of new house is done, it should be completed within three years from sale.

There is no tax benefit on investing into commercial property or residential/commercial land.

answered Jan 04 '12 at 16:18 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jan 03 '12 at 18:15

Seen: 2,249 times

Last updated: Jan 04 '12 at 16:18