Taxability of House taken on rent by company for employees

1) My company has taken a house for me on rent to enable payment through company of my rent amount as demamded by my landlord. This arrangement is only to facilitate payment of rent through company instead of me paying it to landlord. The company on the other hand makes a deduction from my salary of the said rentals. Will this be treated as rent free accomodation at my end or can i claim deduction of rent paid from HRA. 2) I get sodexho meal vouchers of Rs 2000/- per month (5 working days per week). What is the taxable amount of such vouchers or is the entire amount tax free. Alok

asked Dec 26 '11 at 12:25 by ALOK 1111

Following amount would be taxable to you as salary income: Minimum of the actual amount of rent paid by your employer or 15% of salary.

As you are not paying rent, you cannot claim HRA deduction.

Sodexho vouchers are non taxable upto Rs 50 per meal. For an average 22 days working month, Rs 1100 (22x50) would be non taxable.

answered Jan 02 '12 at 13:38 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Dec 26 '11 at 12:25

Seen: 1,739 times

Last updated: Jan 02 '12 at 13:38