Long term Capital Gain- Housing Property

Sir I am NRI by status and I had Sold a residential plot in Sept 2010 (Rs. 22 Lacs) which was purchased by me in the name of my wife in 2002 (Rs. 2 lacs). Due no availability of PAN of my wife at the time of transaction I used a my PAN and deposited the consideration in jointly hold bank account. Investment- I had purchased another residential plot (Rs. 18 lacs) to get exemtion u/s 54F and Capital Gain Bond (Rs. 4 Lacs) in my name only.

Please suggest me whether I should file my return and show all this transaction and claim exemption or I have to get PAN for my wife and file ITR in her name. Also what to do with the capital gain saving bond purchased in my name.

Thanking You LOKESH SONI

asked Dec 03 '11 at 13:24 by Lokesh Soni 1111

First, tax benefit would only be available u/s 54F if a residential house property is purchased or constructed. This benefit is not applicable for purchase of a plot.

In case you only provided whole amount while purchase of old plot, the gains would also be taxable to you. This has to be then shown in your income tax return.

answered Dec 12 '11 at 18:45 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320

Ya sir I'll start the construction on the plot this year , what about the other querry.. please suggest
(Dec 16 '11 at 16:58) Lokesh Soni

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Dec 03 '11 at 13:24

Seen: 1,897 times

Last updated: Dec 16 '11 at 16:58