how to get exemption for medical bills after form 16 is generated

HI, My husband is working as free-lancer. They pay amount after deducting tax. At the end of financial year, they provide the form 16. We want to show medical bills and HRA for income tax exemption.

When can we show them? How can we do that?

Regards, Supraja

asked Nov 30 '11 at 16:14 by Supraja81 1681213

Medical bills and HRA income tax exemption is only provided by employer for full time employees and not to the freelancers or contract employees.

Your husband can claim benefit for house rent paid under section 80GG.

There are some conditions for this claim:

  1. House should be occupied by him.
  2. His spouse/parents should not be paying rent for this house.
  3. You or your spouse should not be owning a house in the same city.
  4. Your husband should not be owning house at any other place for which you claim home loan benefit.
  5. Deduction cannot exceed a. Rs 2000 per month, b. rent paid - 10% of total income, and c. 25% of total income.

answered Dec 11 '11 at 23:53 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Nov 30 '11 at 16:14

Seen: 3,846 times

Last updated: Dec 11 '11 at 23:53