Arrear Demand Notice from income tax department


I have received an 'Arrear Demand Notice' from income tax department, today, for the FY 08-09. I have filed my return on time & all taxes were paid (bank deposit recipts are available along with Form 16 provided by my employer and other relevant documents). Please can you advise:

  1. possible reasons for me getting this demand notice inspite of filing my return on time & paying all the due taxes?
  2. what is the way forward? How to respond to this notice?

I look forward to hear from you!



asked Nov 08 '11 at 23:00 by Anks 462410

please mention the section mentioned in the notice. It may be like intimation U/S 143 of Income Tax Act.
(Feb 22 '13 at 16:44) CAvinodkumar

You are not alone who have been sent this notice. I too have received a similar communication from Centralized Processing Center (CPC), Bangalore.

This communication is is response to a recent clash between CAs and IT department. Income tax department has adjusted some tax payer's refund against old demands, but these tax payers have never been issued such demands in past. So IT department is sending these communication to avoid any further issue and to play it safe in future.

Now coming to the issue, in past they may not have full tracking of TDS deposited or self assessment challans, so there may be a difference in what you declared in IT return and what IT department tracked. So now they are sending notices to clear the pending issues.

You should now, write to assessing officer with return copy of assessment year (for which demand has been raised) along with form-16 (which shows TDS deduction) and challan for self-deposited income tax, if any. Also make sure that form-26AS correctly shows tax deposit. Check TDS deduction and income tax refund Online here.

You can check assessing office details from the notice, you have raised this demand. As soon as they are satisfied with your proofs, they will remove the demand against your name in their database.

If you don't clear out this issue with assessing officer, they will put this amount in pending receivables and will deduct from genuine refunds, if any, in future filed returns.

answered Nov 09 '11 at 00:13 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320

Hi, I am in the same situation.I have no idea how to write a letter back to them and what is the address? My assessing officer is in JCIT(P) RANGE-12, HYD. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
(Nov 22 '11 at 02:03) Taxpayer
Even Iam also received the same kind of mail last friday(18-11-2011), planning to send the Form 16 and IT returns acknoledge forms to the below mentioned adreess. Please send a mial([email protected]) or give a miscal if get any information how to resolve this. Thanks, Sreekanth Income Tax Officer 1, Range - 12, AAYKAR BHAVAN, BASHEER BAGH, HYDERABAD-500004
(Nov 22 '11 at 16:35) Sreekanth
Hi Has anyone managed to clear the demand notice successfully & what have you done exactly as i have also received similar notice recently. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Amit Luthra
(Dec 22 '11 at 00:33) Amit Luthra
please mention the section mentioned in the notice. It may be like intimation U/S 143 of Income Tax Act.
(Feb 22 '13 at 15:56) CAvinodkumar


Yes - my issue is resolved now. Unfortunately it's not something you can do remotely through email or on phone.

I visited my regional income tax office (Mayur Bhawan in Delhi) to see my assessing officer. The assessing officer will see your original documents (i.e., investment proof, etc basis which you have claimed for exception in the said assessment year) to establish the facts and should be able to take necessary action and make appropriate changes in the income tax records. In my case, the assessing officer made the changes to his records rightaway. You'll also need to carry along photocopies of all the documents, an ID proof (PAN card, voter ID card, etc) and a covering letter detailing the issue and your request to make necessary changes to update your records.

I hope this helps!


answered Dec 22 '11 at 18:44 by Anks 462410

Thanks for responding..
(Dec 23 '11 at 00:20) Amit Luthra
Hi AS, After the assessing officer makes the changes in the records, is there any other communication we get regarding the rectification? Or any way to confirm that it's done. I have sent my proofs and a letter describing the problem through my friend to Gurgaon AO. I got an acknowledgment with a ASK NO, barcode, submitted date. My friend told that they made some changes , but not sure what they are actually. Thanks.
(Apr 21 '12 at 01:54) Phani R
Hello, I have received really nothing so far in terms of "acknowledgement". When I asked the accessing officer for an acknowledgement he took a print out from his system refecting the tax due and tax paid updates done by him in the IT system, however that print out in no way constitute an acknowledgement. I am hopeful to get some sort of acknowledgement from the CPC unit of IT Dept at Bangalore but no sure if that will happen though. Anks.
(Apr 22 '12 at 00:55) Anks
Thanks for the reply. Please update when you get any further communication on this from CPC etc. Thanks!
(Apr 23 '12 at 12:22) Phani R

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Nov 08 '11 at 23:00

Seen: 25,222 times

Last updated: Feb 22 '13 at 17:08