how to save capital gain tax

Dear Sir, I an selling a land (not agricultural) and want to save capital gain tax. Can i buy a commercial Complex from that money? what will be my liability to pay tax in that situation?

asked Sep 27 '11 at 12:06 by Ramendra Yadav 1111

On purchase of a commercial complex, no income tax benefit would be available. You can purchase same after paying income tax on capital gains earned from plot sale.

Tax liability can be computed by below provided formula:
Purchase Year = A
Purchase Cost = P
Cost Inflation Index (CII) for purchase year = X

Sale Year = B
Selling price = Q
CII for sale year = Y

Indexed Purchase price = P x (Y/X) = R
Long term capital gain = Q - R = S
Income tax on capital gain = S x 20%

answered Sep 27 '11 at 15:46 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320

Wont purchase of a RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY be eligible for tax-exemption under Sec 54?
(Sep 27 '11 at 17:54) Thyagarajan Mani
Yes, if residential house property (build up and not plot) is purchased tax benefit can be taken under section 54F. Or if a plot is bought and a house is constructed on that.
(Sep 27 '11 at 21:43) Pankaj Batra

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Sep 27 '11 at 12:06

Seen: 1,641 times

Last updated: Sep 27 '11 at 21:43