capital gain tax

I had sold my house constructed by me. There is a capital gain of Rs. 8 lacs on it. Now, I have started construction of a house in a different city on a plot in the name of my wife. The sale proceeds have been invested in the construction and 8 lacs is in bank deposit under capital gain . Now, I want to utilise the amount in the bank in this construction. pl let us know the possibility as the plot is not in my name so as to avoid any tax by way of making a deed/ agreement between me and wife about some share in the plot, gift deed etc.

asked Aug 30 '11 at 11:04 by n bhaskara 112

You won't be able to avail tax benefit for construction of a house on land which you don't own.

First your wife can transfer whole or some portion of plot to you. Gift or settlement deed can be done for this. Once this is done, you can spend amount on construction and claim tax benefit for same.

answered Aug 31 '11 at 18:49 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Aug 30 '11 at 11:04

Seen: 1,857 times

Last updated: Aug 31 '11 at 18:49