Dear Pankaj, I'm a Seafarer & working with Foreign shipping company, my annual income as of now is around 30 lac, could you please advise me on how should I go about saving my money under DIRECT TAX CODE laws & under which slab my salary will be taxed , for your information I annually invest around 1.9 lac under tax exemption. Regards Chaitanya Kapoor

asked Feb 22 '11 at 03:00 by Chaitanya Kapoor 1111

As per section 4-2-b of the Direct tax code (DTC), you will be considered resident of India if you spend sixty or more days in India in a financial year.

Thus, if you gain resident Indian status, all your income will be taxable in India, as per on-going income tax slab rates. View income tax rate slab under DTC.

Shipping industry leaders have been meeting govt official to get clarifications on new rules, as its very hard on seafarers working with foreign shipping companies. There is still more than a year for DTC to come into play. And we hope that there will be a clarity on this soon.

answered Feb 22 '11 at 14:01 by Pankaj Batra 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via Email, Twitter, or Facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Feb 22 '11 at 03:00

Seen: 4,233 times

Last updated: Feb 22 '11 at 14:12