Question regarding correcting a mistake after filing the returns


First, I would like to thank you for putting this information online - really helped me gain confidence to file my own returns myself.

I have a small problem - I entered the wrong details in the Designation of AO (Ward/Circle) and submitted the returns on the website. The ITR-V form has also been generated.

I wanted to check if it is ok if I correct the mistake in the excel, upload a new xml and re-submit the returns.

Or - is there another process that I have to go through to correct this mistake?

It would be great if you could please clarify this


asked Jul 12 '11 at 00:28 by Gaurav Sadana 1111

You can correct the information in excel and then choose revised return in-spite of original return. Choose ‘u/s 139(5)’ in return filed under section. Provide earlier e-filing acknowledgement number and date.

After that follow same process, generate XML and upload it to e-filing website. Send both ITR-V (original and revised) to Bangalore address.

answered Jul 12 '11 at 17:23 by pankaj 5.2k320

Pankaj ji, My problem also got resolved as i also have to got for revised return filling.. but pl tell me about sect 11 - u/s 139(1) also. It is this section under which I filled my return, I am salaried person.
(Jul 16 '11 at 13:54) sakiv1089

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via email, twitter , or facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jul 12 '11 at 00:28

Seen: 3,669 times

Last updated: Jul 16 '11 at 13:54