How to reduce tax on capital gain

I am Suresh Bharadwaj from Hyderabad.

My mother has a flat in Hyderabad, we are planning to sell it off and our plan is to buy an individual house. But to buy a individual house the amount gained by selling the flat is not sufficient so I have to take bank loan to buy the individual house. Bank gives the loan on my Name to buy the house. To reduce the capital gain tax, my mother has to show the money gained by selling the flat is being invested in buying another house.The problem here is property should be on my name to get the loan. the property should be on her name to avoid the tax.

As per the formula given in your site if we have to pay capital gain tax that will be around 4,50,000/-

Kindly suggest if there is any approach to avoid the Capital gain tax.

asked Mar 04 '11 at 05:10 by ksb111 1111

You can buy new property in joint ownership. Divide the share in a ratio so that cost of her share is more than the capital gain. You can get a loan for your share of property. Bank may pay upto 85-90% of your share cost.

answered Mar 10 '11 at 03:39 by pankaj 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via email, twitter , or facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Mar 04 '11 at 05:10

Seen: 1,202 times

Last updated: Mar 10 '11 at 03:39