Capital Gains Tax

Hi, I am an NRI and had purchased an apartment in 1998 by availing housing finance from LIC, repayment of which was made from my NRE account. Now I need to sell the same at the current market price. Will I be required to pay Income Tax on this sale proceeds? Please advise. Thanks a lot. S.Kumar

asked Nov 09 '11 at 02:19 by S KUMAR 111

You would need to compute long term gains and income tax using below computation:

Purchase Year = A
Purchase Cost = P
Cost Inflation Index (CII) for purchase year = X

Sale Year = B
Selling price = Q
CII for sale year = Y

Indexed Purchase price = P x (Y/X) = R
Long term capital gain = Q - R = S
Income tax on capital gain = S x 20%

answered Nov 09 '11 at 13:54 by pankaj 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via email, twitter , or facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Nov 09 '11 at 02:19

Seen: 1,245 times

Last updated: Nov 09 '11 at 13:54