long term capital gain tax

Sir. A Flat at D' Silva Road Chennai600004, measuring 1500 sq ft plinth are with 965 sq ft of undivided land purchased in 1996 If I sell this property now (2011) Q1) how much capital gain tax I have to pay Q2)If I have to buy another property after this sale, to what amount should I purchase or how much should I invest to avoid paying Tax

asked Aug 31 '11 at 11:55 by windows 1111

You can compute capital gains and income tax by using below formula:

Purchase Year = A
Purchase Cost = P
Cost Inflation Index (CII) for purchase year = X

Sale Year = B
Selling price = Q
CII for sale year = Y

Indexed Purchase price = P x (Y/X) = R
Long term capital gain = Q - R = S
Income tax on capital gain = S x 20%

As flat is being sold, income tax can be saved by buying a new residential house property (u/s 54) or investing into capital gain bonds (u/s 54EC). If amount invested is more than gains computed above (S) then no income tax would be payable.

answered Aug 31 '11 at 20:45 by pankaj 5.2k320


Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via email, twitter , or facebook

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Aug 31 '11 at 11:55

Seen: 1,575 times

Last updated: Aug 31 '11 at 20:45